This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SOLVED] Protocol for Integration - HTTP/QUEUE/WEB SERVICE

I am trying to gather all your insights into choosing a reliable & robust technology in integrating OTM with legacy systems. Can any one provide me the pros and cons?

I am looking forward for an indepth discussion on this topic.

Re: Protocol for Integration - HTTP/QUEUE/WEB SERVICE

Hello!

At a high level, here's my thoughts:

HTTP:
    • Easy to implement
    • Lightweight
    • Compatible with most integration engines
    • Very little error correction
    • Simple / Simplistic (depends on your point of view)
    OAQ:
    • Integrates directly with DB - bypasses web/app server
    • Complex
    • Have seen performance issues in production, though I'm not sure if that was OAQ or the configuration
    BPEL:
    • New, interesting technology
    • Very capable language for handling scenarios
    • Integration engines are not as mature (Oracle, Active Endpoints)
    Web Services:
    • New, interesting technology
    • The direction integration seems to be going
    • A great keyword for the resume :P
    • Complex to configure
    • Only available with OTM on WebLogic (currently)
    Let me know your thoughts and we can go into greater detail.

Thanks!
    --Chris
    Chris Plough
    twitter.com/chrisplough
    MavenWire

Comment

Thanks Chris!!

HTTP:
      I have seen in the previous implementations that there is an uncertainity of a transaction getting failed in GLOG and there is no error ack coming back from GLOG

Also oracle documentation says that Oracle AQ provides guaranteed delivery of messages beyond what is currently available with HTTP.

OAQ:

Is it single threaded? What kind of performance issues? Does Oracle help overcome these? Did any one try asking them?

BPEL:

I am sure that we need to write our own bpel jar files to integrate. We would be using JCAPS SOA to integrate all the legacy apps except Oracle Apps. Let me know your direction of thoughts..??

Webservices:

We have OTM installed on OAS. Do we know when Oracle will support it in OAS?

Comment

HTTP:
        I agree - the lack of guaranteed delivery is the Achilles-heel of HTTP.

OAQ:
        No, I don't believe it is single-threaded. The biggest issue is that only a couple of OTM clients are using this, so experience with it, within the OTM / G-Log ranks is lacking. With this particular client, it's hard to say if the performance issues where related to OAQ or to the integration process queues that they used. Oracle may have some OAQ experts, but many of they old G-Log support team (like myself) aren't extremely familiar with it. If you have experience with it, I'd investigate further.

BPEL:
        I'm personally a fan of BPEL - the biggest issue I've seen is a lack of management capabilities and tools for the existing BPEL servers (Oracle, Active Endpoints). Technology-wise, I believe BPEL is very capable, especially with the newer BPEL 2.0 spec. If you already have experience here or are moving in this direction, I'd say go for it. If you have a need to be conservative, from a business perspective, then I'd look at OAQ or standard HTTP.

Web Services:
        I'm not aware of any time-lines here, but wouldn't expect support before OTM 6.0. I expect OAS to catch up to WebLogic, in terms of performance and features, somewhere around OTM 6.5 or 7.0. There's a lot of work to be done, since OTM has been running on WebLogic for 8 years.

Hope this helps!

--Chris
        Chris Plough
        twitter.com/chrisplough
        MavenWire

Comment

Ok. Now we finally came down to two technologies.

QUEUE

How does an external system(JCAPS in my case) call an Oracle AQ API. I am trying to look for sample java code that OTM provides(from documentation) but after installation I dont see the code in integration folder.

BPEL

JCAPS has a BPEL engine that can work with OTM. How to go further in integrating with OTM. What are the things that I need to make something go from JCAPS BPEL to OTM using BPEL technology.

Thanks,
          RK

Comment

I don't have it right in front of me, but I believe that the OTM integration guide covers some of this. The files I'll look at (on your OTM installation) are:
            • <otm_home_dir>/docs/integration/integration.pdf
            • <otm_home_dir>/xmlelements.xls
            • <otm_home_dir>/docs/integration/datamanagement.pdf
            • <otm_home_dir>/glog/config/GLogXML.wsdl
            • <otm_home_dir>/glog/config/GLogXML.xsd
            Take a look at these and if you have specific questions, please post them here and I'll do my best to help

--Chris
            Chris Plough
            twitter.com/chrisplough
            MavenWire

Comment

Working...
            X